Tuesday, March 10, 2009

wherever you go...

I am working today on being happy with what I've got. I've spent ten years bitching about living in Minnesota, and here I am. The bitching doesn't appear to be helping. I'm trying to put it in context, the whole question of hating the climate and wanting to move. I think I'm whiny about the weather because I've been lucky enough to travel and experience other climates. But I'm still from Minnesota, do I move to another place just because the sun shines more and it snows less and my face never freezes off and the salt on the roads doesn't rot my car and the salt on the sidewalks doesn't rot my shoes? (Veering into complaining again...)
Also, a lot of the people I respect most in the world are Midwesterners who stayed. Hard-working, good-hearted, down-to-earth, practical, funny people. No one makes me laugh like a fellow Midwesterner. I could move but does that mean I should? To a place where I have no roots? But can I bloom where I'm planted when the ground is frozen and the sun rarely shines for half the year?

No comments: